With reference to our earlier email dated 13 November 2015, we are pleased to inform that with effect from 1 JANUARY 2017, the Office of the Deputy ViceChancellor (Academic & International) will ONLY be handling Permission to Travel for UM students (Undergraduate/Postgraduate) who will be participating in any studies, attachment or activities ABROAD.

For all LOCAL activities (in Malaysia which includes Kuala Lumpur), it is sufficient for the Head of the Academic PTjs (Dean/Director of aculties/Academies, Institutes/Centres) to grant permission to the students under their respective PTjs.

Please ensure that students submit the completed application form to our office NOT LESS THAN 21 DAYS (3 WEEKS) BEFORE the date of travel and NOT AFTER THE TRAVEL HAS TAKEN PLACE. Failing which, students may not be granted permission to travel and the university will NOT be legally liable for such travel.

Research Assistants (RA) who are not registered as UM student, must obtain approval from the Deputy ViceChancellor (Research & Innovation).

  • The student’s personal details as stated on the Permission to Travel (Overseas) Form will be retained by the Office of the Deputy ViceChancellor (Academic & International) for the purpose of contacting the student with information relevant to their placement
  • The student’s personal details may be shared with their academic department (if required).
  • The student’s personal details may be also required for data analysis and process improvement.
With these changes, Heads of PTjs are requested to notify students on this new requirement. Please click here to download the revised application form (Permission to Travel (Overseas) for UM Students). This form will be also uploaded in the Student Portal.

Thank you.